A downloadable game for Windows
μ-DRIVE is a PC rhythm game that draws heavy inspiration from arcade games such as Sound Voltex and ONGEKI.
This is an early, pre-alpha release, destined to gauge interest and receive initial feedback from players. Join the Discord to hang out with other players, download charts and talk to the developer!
- An innovative control scheme, using the entire keyboard to replicate the feeling of arcade controllers.
- Note that some keyboards limit how many keys can be pressed at once - these keyboards might appear to drop inputs. For this reason, playing on an N-Key Rollover keyboard (most mechanical keyboards should support this) is strongly recommended.
- Support for rhythm game controllers, specifically Sound Voltex / K-Shoot Mania controllers with a Keyboard mode.
- In-game chart editor - seamlessly transition between editing and playing your charts without installing any separate software.
- Extended rhythm game controller support - IIDX, Pop'n Music, CHUNITHM, maybe even fight sticks?
- RGB Support for keyboards with an SDK
- Story mode to provide an environment for players to learn and improve.
- Extensive tutorials, covering everything from basic "how to play" to advanced, controller-specific techniques.
- Character unlock and progression system, entirely unmonetized, to satisfy those of us with collection addiction ;)
- Online platform for high scores, music sharing and potentially multiplayer.
- A player ranking system that respects competitive integrity. Scores using character-related bonuses will be scored on a separate leaderboard.
How to play
It's a rhythm game - hit notes to score points. However, μ-DRIVE has a few additional mechanics on top of that.
- Your Life determines whether you pass or fail a song. Currently, you immediately fail once it reaches 0 - eventually, an option will be added to continue playing but having the play be considered a "Fail Clear".
- The Sync Rate is equivalent to the score in other rhythm games. It goes up to 1,000,000 and depends on your timing accuracy.
- The Battle System is where μ-DRIVE differs from other rhythm games.
- During gameplay, enemy ships while fly by and shoot your ship. They cannot be avoided, and getting hit reduces your Life.
- Certain note types, upon being hit, trigger a BURST RELEASE. If a BURST RELEASE occurs while an enemy ship is in front of you, your ship will shoot it. If your Charge is greater than their Shield, it will be destroyed, preventing it from shooting you.
- At the end of the song, you receive a Battle Grade depending on how many ships you destroyed and a Skill Grade depending on your final Sync Rate. You also receive a Clear Type:
- COMPLETE: You completed the track without failing.
- ALL CLEAR: You did not let a single enemy escape.
- FULL COMBO: You did not miss a single note.
- FULL BURST: You hit every note with a rating of BURST or better.
- CRITICAL FULL BURST: You hit every note perfectly, with a rating of BURST CRITICAL or BURST RELEASE.
- FAILED: You failed before the end of the track.
No matter which input device you are using, it will be separated in three colored areas, depicted in the diagram at the end of this section.
- Strike notes are hit by pressing a key within the colored area corresponding to it. Depending on the timing, they may be scored as BURST CRITICAL, BURST or HIT, increasing your Charge and adjusting your Sync Rate.
- Release Strikes appear as larger Strike notes. They are hit by pressing 2 keys within the same color area at the same time. Successfully hitting it will trigger a BURST RELEASE.
- Hold notes are the same as strike notes, except the key must stay held down until the hold ends.
- Dash notes must be hit by rapidly moving across them in the direction of the arrow. Hitting one also triggers a BURST RELEASE.
- Collecting yellow energy orbs increases your damage multiplier. Missing one does not count as a MISS, and does not end your combo.
- Getting hit by red damage orbs reduces your Life.
To create a new chart, for now the easiest way is to copy an existing chart folder and replace the audio file and album cover with yours. You can then delete every element in the editor, set the BPM and offset to your values and begin charting. Eventually, using an existing chart as a base will not be necessary.
For support, ask on Discord.
To prevent you from accidentally hitting system keys such as Alt-Tab or the Windows key, the game intercepts and blocks windows from receiving all keyboard input during gameplay. This lets you use the whole keyboard as you wish. If you wish to disable it for any reason, pressing F12 during gameplay toggles Exclusive Input.
You might have concerns about getting stuck without keyboard input if the game malfunctions at all. If an application exits or becomes completely unresponsive, Windows will automatically remove the block. If it somehow fails to detect that the game has become unresponsive, Ctrl-Alt-Del cannot be blocked for technical reasons and can always be used to close the game.
Memories by Loud Software: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-ke93WupuwejfDPMY86Pqg
Necrofantasia Remix by Shred VII
- Newtonsoft.JSON licensed under the MIT License.
- Smash: Copyright (c) 2017, Alexandre Mutel
- xxHash: Copyright (c) 2012-2014, Yann Collet
- UnityRawInput (slightly modified by me) licensed under the MIT License
Everything listed above requires me to include this disclaimer:
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
- Download "Pre-Alpha Release" and extract it anywhere.
- Download "Packaged Tracks" and extract it to the "My Games" directory in your Documents folder. If "My Games" does not exist, create it.
- Run the game and enjoy!
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.